ContributingWays You Can Support Koinonia
Cash donations might not be right for everyone, but giving a gift in your will is a powerful way to make an impact for generations to come. Make your will today and create your legacy with Koinonia by visiting www.freewill.com.
Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs)
If you’re over the age of 70½ and have a traditional IRA, you may want to consider making your charitable donation through a QCD. This is a great way to give because it has multiple tax benefits and allows you to support the causes that are closest to your heart.
What is a QCD?
A qualified charitable distribution (QCD) is a direct transfer of funds from your IRA to a qualified charity. QCDs can be counted toward satisfying your required minimum distributions (RMDs) for the year, as long as certain rules are met:
- You must be 70½ or older to be eligible to make a QCD.
- You can give up to $100,000 in QCDs each calendar year. QCDs can be made to multiple charities, as long as the total amount does not exceed the $100,000 annual limit.
- If you want your QCD to apply to the current tax year, the funds must come out of your IRA before December 31.
What are the tax benefits?
- Counts toward fulfilling your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year.
- Excludes the amount donated from your taxable income, which:
- Reduces the impact of certain tax credits and deductions, like Social Security and Medicare.
- Prevents you from sliding into a higher tax bracket.
Which charities qualify?
The charity must be a 501(c)(3) organization that is eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. And yes, Koinonia does qualify to receive donations through a QCD.
How do I get started?
Here is the step-by-step process for making a QCD:
1. Let your IRA’s custodian know that you are interested in making a QCD.
2. Fill out an IRA Charitable Distribution Form specifying the charity and dollar amount you wish to donate. If you plan to donate to Koinonia, you will need the following information:
a. Legal name: Koinonia Foster Homes, Inc.
b. Taxpayer ID: 94-2792265
c. Permanent Address: 3731 Magnolia Street, Loomis, CA 95650
3. Submit the distribution form to your IRA’s custodian before the end of December (custodians are often busy during the month of December, so making your QCD earlier is a good idea).
4. Notify the charity about your gift, so they can anticipate the donation and prepare to send you a receipt.
5. Maintain the receipt(s) and records in your tax file.
6. Report the QCD amount on your 1040 federal tax return.
Download Your QCD Form
Have questions? Call us.